Monday, April 28, 2008

Art about art

Speaking as I was, earlier, about covers, this may be the ultimate. Jerky, handheld video with audio through my computer's so-so built-in speakers, it still clutches at the heart:



Prince covering Radiohead's "Creep" at Coachella last weekend [via BBP] Wish I'd been there. However in 2003, when son Matt wangled me a single ticket for Radiohead's "Hail to the Thief" tour, I drove a couple of hours by myself to the Tweeter Center near Boston, spent at least another hour sitting in concert traffic so that I missed a good portion of the show, but got there in plenty of time to stand in the suffocating August heat and hear Thom Yorke unexpectedly sing "Creep." It was more than worth it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That ending kicks so much ass. Such an incredible guitar player. I heard a jazz musician who worked with him on NPR and he said he's never worked with anyone else who can not only pick up any instrument in the room and play it- but Prince can play them all expertly.

gonzales said...

My friend just saw that performance live. He said it was truly amazing. Hey Carol, if you happen to be in DUMBO this Friday swing by Rebar (rebarnyc.com)at 8pm. I'm in a show with my wife and a collective of other artists. Should be a great time.

Best,
Frank Gonzales