Friday, March 12, 2010

Spring vacation

I rarely enjoy reading interviews; I’ve written them from time to time, when asked, but in general I consider them a low form of journalism, kind of a cop-out, especially when art is the topic at hand. The interviewer is usually intimidated by the subject, and the questions are rarely more probing than, “Where were you born?” I did write one for Mike Glier’s Along a Long Line (see sidebar), a book about his global painting project, which I think is good only because Mike’s words about himself and his work are more interesting than anyone else’s about him could be.

However friend and artist colleague, Roberto Juarez, has published another interview with Mike, this time in Bomb magazine online, which goes even more deeply into what it means to be an artist, and specifically a painter. Rarely is painting discussed with such perception and thoughtfulness on the parts of both the interviewer and the interviewee. I recommend printing it out and enjoying it while I’m away for the next week or so, frolicking near one of the places on Mike’s longitudinal journey, which he so aptly interpreted in paint. Enjoy!

Mike Glier, January 26, 2008, Haulover Bay, (St. John, VI), oil on aluminum, 24" x 30". Gerald Peters Gallery.

No comments: